Thursday, August 17, 2006

Comments Added and WMI Blues

I spaced out on approving and publishing the moderated comments (thanks Craig). So now, there are about 30 commnents, dating back from late May.

I was wondering why nobody congratulated me on my new job :-)

Starting to play around with Microsoft's WMI for instrumenting applications. I need to beat up on Microsoft for not letting you author .NET-based WMI providers that allow method invocation and property setters. All you can do with .NET WMI providers are receive events and do property gets. You cannot change a value through a property setting, nor can you manage an application by calling a method on a provider.

Seems that if you want to write a fully-functional WMI provider, then you have to drop down to COM (even using ATL) and C++.

This limitation is severe. This means that I cannot write a .NET app that can be managed by a .NET provider. This means that, if I want to write a monitoring and management dashboard (for monitoring, let's say, a .NET-based trading system), I have to drag out my old COM/ATL books and write unmanaged code. Ugh!

It seems as if plenty of people on the newsgroups share my pain.

©2006 Marc Adler - All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yup...
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms186136.aspx

Anonymous said...

It's been a while since I wrote this and I can't remember the specifics.

I don't think it covers what you're looking for though.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnhcvs04/html/vs04d6a.asp